Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jazz

Jazz in an American musical art form wich originated around the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions. Jazz is my favourite music, I like to listen to this kind of music wherever and whenever i am. Nevertheless, nowadays people in Indonesia has a wrong understanding about jazz. They thought some of pop music is Jazz. Usually jazz riched with harmonies and melodies. Improvisation is the key to make this music come alive. Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Billie Holiday, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker are the great musicians according to me. They show us the real jazz to us. I like to go to eastern promise at kemang, they have a Wednesday Jazz Night every week. There are many good players there, they play jazz together in a band. They jamz like crazy every wednesday night. If you want to be a jazz lover, you have to watch it live!

1 comment:

Charles said...

Jesse-
I love jazz! You mentioned some great musicians, some of my favorites. Do you know Miles Davis , Herbie Hancock, Dizzie Gillespie, John Coltrane or the wonderful young Indonesian singer Shirley O? She sings classic jazz with a very nice voice. I met her at Eastern Promise, which is one of my favorite restaurants. She sang at the Jakarta and Java Jazz Festivals. She has made a CD caled "Terima Kasih." You might really enjoy it.