Sunday, September 28, 2008

Deaf But Diligent

After class last week, I was dining at de'exelso in Senayan City with my older sister. Suddenly a young man who I estimated to be in his early to mid twenties sat on the empty chair infront of us and began ruffling through his bag. My sister and I were both quite shocked and confused as to what was happening, my sister asked him a question but he didn't seem to notice. Before we could do more, the young man looked up and greeted us with a smile, we smiled back politely all the while still very confused then he handed us a laminated card. The card stated very politely that he was deaf and belonged to some sort of group whose goal was to make their own money instead of relying on others. We looked at him and saw that he had laid two very cute spider keychains made out of string/yarn infront of us, a yellow one infront of me and a pink one infront of my sister. We read the card further which said that he had made them himself and was selling them at the price of 15 thousand Rupia. The spiders were quite cool and we felt like we wanted to help so we purchased two of them. He then thanked us with a smile and nodded his head down before going to other tables to continue his mission. I thought it was a very creative way for them to make money and also to create awareness that there are many unemployed disabled people out there who are very skilled in some way yet unable to make a living.

2 comments:

Charles said...

Monica -
I assume the man you describe was honest, however that is a common way for dishonest people to make money. I saw some of those people in an airport recently. Nearby was a sign saying the airport did not support the efforts of these people. In most cases many of us would prefer not to be bothered by people trying to collect money. That's the reason I usually don't support activities like that.

CHS said...

I hope that man is honest and not pretends to be a deaf person...