Sunday, January 11, 2009

Highest Mountain in Our Solar System

A few days ago, when I was playing a game, there was a quiz about the highest mountain in the solar system. I answered Mt. Everest without thinking and I thought it was right. Surprisingly, my answer was wrong, and the correct one is Mt. Olympus, the mountain that's located on Mars. I was surprised, so I searched the fact on the Internet. From what I've found, Mt. Olympus is indeed the highest mountain in our solar system. It is an active volcano that has 24 kilometers high (3 times higher than Mount Everest) and 550 kilometers wide. The one who discover it was Giovanni Virginio Schiaparelli on November 10, 1879. It's already discovered from a long time ago, but I never heard a single things about this. Even physic and geography lesson never tell me about this one...

I wonder if you guys ever heard about the mountain...

Sources:
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/kids_space/qss_mars.html
http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/cosmic_kids/AskKids/olympusmons.shtml

3 comments:

CHS said...

What game did you play?

Resa said...

persona 4...

Charles said...

Everyone who knows about Mars knows about this large mountain range. Geologists have plenty on Earth to keep them busy.