Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Believe in Rhett Butler

I now have another movie to add to my ever growing list of films that blew me away. The movie Gone with the Wind can only be best described with the word epic. I watched this movie in a span of three days as it lasted for 4 hours but if I wasn’t so busy with assignments, I probably would have watched it all at once. There was never a dull moment, in the 4 hour duration I did not once feel bored. Gone with the Wind which was made in 1939, tells the story of a strong willed but manipulative young woman named Scarlett O’Hara and her turbulent love affair with Rhett Butler a charming yet arrogant man set during the civil war and its aftermath. The story is told from the point of view of the white southern people. The film is a perfect combination of the drama, romance and war genres. Imdb.com summarized it as “The epic tale of a woman's life during one of the most tumultuous periods in America's history. From her young, innocent days on a feudalistic plantation to the war-torn streets of Atlanta; from her first love whom she has always desired to three husbands; from the utmost luxury to absolute starvation and poverty; from her innocence to her understanding and comprehension of life”. To this day, this movie is still considered to be one of the greatest and most popular films of all time.

As a huge movie buff, I have always been interested in looking up older movies, though I never thought to look this far back. However I am very glad I did. This film was really fun to watch, I loved the story line, the olden style dialogue as well as the scenery and the very handsome and charming Clark Gable who portrayed Rhett Butler. Part of the reason I like watching movies is so that I can discover great fictional characters that are unique and interesting to watch, both Rhett Butler and Scarlett O’Hara fall into this category. I also had no idea that famous quotes such as “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” and “Tomorrow is another day” originated from this movie, I was pleasantly surprised. This film is definitely a must see for movie fans.

Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_With_the_Wind_1939
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031381/

1 comment:

Charles said...

Monica -
G.W.T.W is one of my favorite films. I'll be showing it soon to my media students. My favorite characters are the servants Prissie played by Butterfly McQueen and Mamie, Hattie McDaniel. Hattie won an Oscar but, because she was black wasn't allowed attend to accept the award!
It's a fantastic movie!
I'm glad you liked it.